Friday, November 5, 2010

I once was blind

Not many people know this but I have been pretty blind for a good many years... okay so maybe lots of people know that, but maybe they didn't know just how bad it was. That 20/20 vision measurement that they have, it goes up to 20/400 and my vision was worse than that... off the chart. Basically that big E... if I didn't know it was an E then I wouldn't be able to tell what it was.

I was pretty content to wear contacts most of the time and glasses when I was at home - although it was always annoying to have to pick my head up off the pillow and hang half way out of bed to be able to see the alarm clock at night. And then I started working nights at a hospital with dry dry air. My eyes wanted to kick my contacts out at about 3 in the morning. So I started wearing my glasses - except that they give me a headache from pushing on my ears and nose and I was always worried that they'd fall off my peanut head at an inopportune moment :(

So I decided to get LASIK. I'm not the best at doing lots of research about things but I am good at picking the right people to get advise from so I asked my sister-in-law, who is the researchy type who she went to and picked that guy... it turns out that he is the best in Houston... so they say, and I'd have to agree.

I'm pretty grossed out by eyeballs - I can't even stand to see conjunctiva. When I had to put eye drops in people's eyes when I was in nursing school it grossed me right out. Poop, blood, vomit, open abdominal cavities, all the stuff that comes out when a person gives birth - none of it grosses me out in the slightest but eyeballs - yish. I think it stems from an experience I had when I was 12. We had to dissect a cow's eyeball in science class. We had to make an incision and then "gently" squeeze the eyeball until the lens came out. When I squeezed the eye the lens totally popped out and it looked like a jelly bean that had the sugary colored coating sucked off - and then the eye was all wrong with goo and liquid and wrongness. Probably if we'd been able to wear latex gloves I'd have been OK but they didn't do stuff like latex gloves for stuff like that back then so I was forever traumatized by the whole thing.

When I asked people who had the surgery about it they all pretty much said "you don't feel anything." I was foolish and believed this. While it's true that painful isn't the word I would use to describe the experience, I would say that it was SUUUUUPPPPPPERRRRRRR UNCOMFORTABLE. First of all, they keep your eye open with a Clock Work Orange type contraption


That's not comfortable, no, not at all. Then they put a suction cup thing on your eye, also uncomfortable. After that you can't see anything, and to be fair, that makes things get better. However, the surgeon would say "look up" "look down" or whatever and I wanted to say "dude, I can't see anything to look at anything" but I was too busy fighting off a panic attack due to the fact that they gave me my Valium 5 minutes before the procedure... I'm thinking I could've used it like 20-30 minutes beforehand but you know - at least I slept most awesomely on the way home and for several hours when I got home. Valium plus no sleep the night before = super duper sleepy.

So today my eyes look like this

When my kids saw me they were like "um, mom, are your eyes going to stay like that?"

I wore my sunglasses all around the grocery store because I didn't want to freak people out. I still got weird looks from wearing my sunglasses inside but I took comfort in the fact that I wasn't the only one. Also, I'm not allowed to wear make-up for a week so nobody better ask me if I'm feeling ok!

So the verdict - it was totally worth it. I can already see well enough to drive and watch TV without glasses and that is such a huge improvement I can't even tell you how happy I am. They told me it will take 3-4 months before my eyes settle into what they will be.

8 comments:

Elizabeth-W said...

I am so excited for you! I would love to have that done. I can't wear contacts, and glasses are a total pain.

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful! Even if it was freaky getting there. Just so you know, you'll have to go through eye horrors again after you're about 60 and weird agey things start happening to your eye and vision - forewarned is forearmed - but, hey you've got a couple of decades before you have to worry about it and who knows what cool things they will have come up with by then< right? :)

Anonymous said...

People who have never had a "blind" problem cannot appreciate what you experienced. I think Jen is the same but see pretty well with contacts. Maybe we should encourage her to do the same? What do you think? Congratulations by the way... but I have always thought of you as a "good looker".

Love, Dad Steinmetz

Julie of the Wisdom People said...

I'm going to put the picture of your eye up as our background on your computer. Todd would be so freaked out. I might get lasik one day, but, then again, given that Todd would probably totally freak out and not want to be around me until my eyeballs were completely healed, maybe not. (PS This post makes me want to watch clockwork orange.)

little.monkey said...

I could never do that ever! So horrible! I am glad that you can see again though. You're getting more and more glamorous everyday!

Jen said...

Seeing your bloodshot, juicy eye immediately made mine start watering.
Eye stuff creeps me out too, I remember when Lump & I went to go see Ministry in Houston, they had two big screens on stage with video of disturbing images, and one of the things they kept replaying was an eye surgery. Ech.
I also rely on my memory of the eye chart to identify the big E, maybe one day I'll get Lasik too. I definitely don't want to go glasses, they're not too convenient for my job either, or my sweaty hobby.
Clockwork Orange is strange and psycho. I think I'm gonna watch it this week...

Unknown said...

I'm so excited for you!! I had no idea you were doing this. I want this procedure done too. I didn't know there was anyone out there with eyesight worse than mine! How did I not know that about you. I can't wait to hear all about it!! You're my hero!!

Anonymous said...

Connor came home from school a week or so ago with a plastic bag in his pocket. In the plastic bag was something that looked like, yes I thought this too, a jelly bean with the coating sucked off. When I found out what it was and that it was several days old I freaked out and made him throw it away.

That said, congrats on your new eyeballs! I have never had anything but 20/20 so I'm sure I don't fully appreciate it, but I'm glad you're not blind anymore! And I'm glad you don't have a cow eyeball lens in a plastic bag in your pocket.